If, like most people, you use your garage as a dumping ground, let us show you how to completely transform this space to make it easier to find things as and when you need them. Let’s face it, most people today do not actually use their garage for what was once its primary function – somewhere to parkthe car. Nowadays, it is more often than used for additional storage space.
A garage is an ideallocation to store all of those items you do not use regularly.Think sports equipment, garden furniture in the winter, garden tools and, let’s be honest, piles of clutter that have been amassed over the years!
Organizing Your Garage Space
There are countless tips and tricks for making the most of your garage space. Below are just a few ideas that could transform this space:
- Gather all the tools you need for organizing and decluttering.Think things such asheavy-duty trash bags, boxes for bits and pieces, and a strong broom or vacuum cleaner.
- Start by getting rid of all the trash and clutter – there is likely to be a lot of it! It is amazing how much trash accumulates in a garage.
- If your garage has been used as a space to store tools and other odds and ends, it is likely that you will find small items such as screws or bits of plastic on shelves or on the floor. Gather all of these up and place them in your trash bags.
- Start as you mean to go on and think carefully about the items in your garage and whether or not you really need them. You might find items that have been taking up space in the garage for years because ‘I might need it someday.’If you have not used something for many years, the chances are you are never going to use it. Make a pile of things that you can donate to a charity or thrift store. Better yet, make three piles; one for trash, one for keeping, and one for donating.
- Once you have your piles in place, start looking for clever ways to organize the items that you want to keep.
- Shelving is an option, but many individuals have been utilizing warehouse racking systems on a smaller scale and placing them in their garages. These heavy-duty systems are strong and sturdy and the perfect place to store things like tools. Speedrack West, an Oregon-based company that specializes in these systems says that warehouse racking systems could be the ideal choice for the residential garage, offering clever storage options that maximize the available space.
- In addition to a warehouse racking system or something similar, baskets and hooks can be used for smaller items. According to Speedrack West, making the most of your wall space is the key to a well-organized storage space. To ensure you have more opportunities to use your wall space, add a layer or plywood over your drywall or fixed to the bare studs. Doing this instantly doubles the storage capacity of your walls.
- If you are still in need of space, then why not consider utilizing your ceiling area by fixing tracks to it. You can then slide large storage bins into the tracks. Labelling the underside of each bin will allow you to quickly see what each one contains.
What we have listed above are just a few ideas for making more of the space you have available in the garage. Remember though, once you have tidied up and organized the space – don’t be tempted to use it as a dump again!